View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #17
The_Ryujin

Default Re: GURPS 3e & 4e Metal Gear Solid

Ok.... Here's some of my thought on your write up.

[*]Body and Subassemblies: Two Legs, one striker arm on the right side (the railgun), limited rotation turret (the "head"), one pod (the radome) on left shoulder.

Realistically you should make both the railgun arm and the radome either both striker arms or pods since both pieces of equipment are attached to the same kind of hard points, seems Rex was meant to be modular which makes sense from a sales point of view – more variants means more potential buyers.

My take on the build would be to make both sides as striker arms.

[*]Drivetrain: One TL10 4,093.5kW Leg drivetrain in each leg.

I'd build this a TL 8 (which would be roughly equivalent to early TL 9 in GURPS) 8187kW leg drive train. There's really no reason to build Rex as too advanced since it was going for a big and bulky “real robot” vibe.

Weight: 49,392 lbs. ~25 tons.
Cost: $9,900,000
Volume: 490 ft^3 per leg.
Power: 8187kW

[*]Arm Motors: One TL9 ST 350 Cheap Striker Arm Motor in Arm.

3rd ed ST 350 is only equal to ST 59 in 4th ed which gives a BL of 700 lbs which is kinda puny. I'd beef it up to at lest ST 4000 (4th ed ST 200).

Two TL8 ST 4000 Cheap Striker Arms

Weight: 800 lbs per arm
Cost: $400,000 per arm
Volume: 16 ft^3 per arm
Power: 20kW per arm

[*]Thrusters: One Ducted fan with 10,000 lbs. motive thrust in each leg.

Wait... when did Ol' Rexy have thrusters?

[*]Cockpit: Basic Cockpit in turret with the No Extinguisher and No
Lifesystem downgrades.

Given that it's cocpit was sealed... I'd say that it had a life support system (or Liquid would of died of ham induced asphyxia after a few minutes of battle...). Also while not shown I'd place good money on Armtech wanting to put at lest a sprinkler in their golden ticket out of bankruptcy heh.

TL 8 basic cockpit in the turret

Weight: 590 lbs
Cost: $80,100
Volume: 24.7 ft^3
Power: 0.5kW

[*]Built-in Weapons:
Two 30mm X GAU-8R Avenger rotary cannons in turret facing forward with 2,500 shots each,

Free-Electron Mobile Tactical High-Energy Laser (MTHEL-FE, [ArmsTech International V17 Vulcan Cannon, Searing LaserStorm High-Energy Cutter "Slice n' Dice"]) in body facing forward,

four 178mm REX missile launchers concealed (see GURPS Vehicles p.42) in body facing upwards with 6 AGM-114P "Hellfire" HEAT missiles each,

one 178mm REX missile launcher in each leg facing forward with 3 AGM-114P "Hellfire" HEAT missiles each,

18.5m Rail Gun (Special Ops Optimum Bombardment 422 "Widowmaker" 705mm launch tube) in arm with 3 AGM-129 ACM 200kt Nuclear Warheads.

Retractable Sharp Claws (REX's foot spikes) in each leg.
[*]Weapon Accessories: 178mm REX missile launchers in boy are linked, MTHEL-FE has casemate mount, and all AGM-114P and AGM-129 ACM missiles are in anti-blast magazines.

Weapons seem good, if this is just gonna be fore a 3rd ed campaign then they're all easy enough to stat up vehicles weapon design rules. There's no rules for tandem shape charge war heads in 3rd (which is needed for hellfire's warhead) but I don't see why you can't just use the rules for them from High-Tech 4th ed. To stat out the smaller pre-charge treat it as having a diameter only about ~63% of the main charge.

[*]Sensors: 50-mile range PESA in pod facing forward, 125-mile range AESA in pod facing forward.

[*]Comsuite: Basic Comsuite in Turret.

[*]Electronic Countermeasures (ECM): Deceptive Jammer (Jam Rating 6) in turret.

[*]Power Systems: 9,171kW Gas Turbine (ArmsTech AGM 4000 "Behemoth") in body powers all systems except MTHEL-FE using 504.4gph of Diesel fuel. 20,000,000kWs TL9 non-rechargeable power cell (Laser Pro Pack) in body powers MTHEL-FE for 174 shots.

This all looks good.

[*]Fuel and Fuel Tanks: 1,515-gallon self-sealing tank in body provides fuel for 3 hours of Gas Turbine operation.

3hrs isn't anywhere enough to power Rex for the kind of remote location, independent deployment it was meant for. I'd peg it at being able to operate for at lest 8hrs as a requirement, I don't see it running for that long but gives enough gas to run for long periods of time idling and still be mobile.

I'd stat the tanks like this:

2421.12 gallon self sealing tank in the body with a 807 gallon self sealing tank in each leg. Body tank weighs 2,4221 lbs, takes up 363 ft^3 and costs $24,000. 2421.12 gallons of diesel weighs 14,527 lbs. and costs $2,900 (Yeah, I wish gas prices were that good). 807 gallon self sealing tank weighs 807 lbs, takes up 121 ft^3 and costs $8,000 in each leg. 807 gallons of diesel weighs 4,842 lbs and costs $970.

[*]Access Space: 183.72cf of access space in body, 137.88cf of access space in each leg.

[*]Volumes: Arm volume 5,130cf, Pod volume 1,387cf, Turret volume 13,000cf, Body volume 41,800cf, each Leg volume 60,840cf.

These volumes are... huge. Like... the body's volume alone is so huge you could stuff 5,000 bodies inside of it!You also probably don't need that much access space.

[*]Structure: TL10 Medium Frame, Advanced Materials.

I'd bring it down a bit once again to TL 8 but still with Advanced Materials which has a weight of 1.5 and a cost of $500 per pound. Rex is also a walking tank so it also needs a heavy frame.

[*]Hit Points: Body HP 10,840, Turret HP 4,976, Pod HP 350 (Intentionally lowered), each Leg HP 13,923, Arm HP 5,355.

I'd leave the Radomes HP alone and just give it weaker armor since being a sensor platform you probably can't put thick plates on it without blocking it's ability to act as a sensor heh.

[*]Surface Features: Waterproof. Radical Stealth and Foot Rollers.

[*]Armor: Superscience TL15 Collapsed Matter Armor (see GURPS Vehicles Expansion 2 p.6) is PD 6 DR 300, except for pod, which is PD 6 DR 40.

No need for such extreme armor heh. It's armor was just an advanced ceramic composite laminate, probably just an advanced version of “Dorchester” so it's probably best represented as Advanced Ceramic Composite, which is the same as TL 8 expensive laminate. Weight is 0.15, cost is $30 per pound and if you want to fuse over volume divide it's weight by 150.

Ok, hope this helps you write up a bit. Need any more help with it's stats just let me know.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote