View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #38
Tomsdad

Default Re: Literal vs. Abstract interpretation of GURPS combat and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Just to make sure, could both of you articulate what exactly it is that you're going back and forth about?
TBH is seem to have evolved over time and threads. We do seem to have moved away from the initial conceptual question to get mired in a TG debate again (but it was kind of inevitable once examples were brought in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That CP can be reduced by appropriate manoeuvres and HP restored by Regeneration seems like a difference too far-buried, .
Ok leaving aside you've ignored the majority of my reply to you in order to make the 'regeneration is to HP as Spending CP is to CP', comparison. Let's tackle that

It's not.

Those CP are spent to leverage some other effect. CP goes up and down according to both sides actions and is leveraged in far more complex ways than the way Regeneration restores HP.

Quote:
when the issue is that in both cases you're having your weapon (grappling hand/impaling blade) right there in a tight contact with the target, even somewhat controlling the target, but you still roll to hit before you can apply the ST-based part of you weapon (CPs or damage).
Sorry I think I have already pointed out the differences between a grappling contest using TG and armed combat contest using normal attacks and defences.

Quote:
Sure. I'm genuinely interested about the compromise of strong literalists when choosing between adding more rules (but making them more literal) or using the rules as-is (but keeping them more abstract).
For me there's always going to be scope for 'more realism' but you do obviously reach a point of diminishing returns in terms of play value. But as we said earlier where that point is varies of all of us.

However no system is at the same base line for this in every aspect of play, so in some areas there is more scope to add more in before reaching that point.

Grappling for me is one in GURPS. Stabbing and working the blade in the wound for me is more akin to GURPS Grappling in TG, than it is to rapid attack in Melee.

I could house rules the standard melee combat rules (but I suspect they might end up aping TG anyway)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 12-26-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote