View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #26
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Ultra-Tech and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
The working definition of a metal that I'm familiar with is a material with a half-filled conduction band. Although astronomers have a weird terminology where anything that is not hydrogen or helium is called a metal ("Hey! This star's spectrum shows lots of oxygen. It is rich in metals.").
The problem is there are metals that don't fit the Band Theory of Electrical Conductivity. Tungsten and Bismuth come to mind and they are both metals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewings View Post
Of course the human body contains metals. I wasn't thinking in terms of elemental composition, but molecular composition. Calcium phosphate, for example, though it contains calcium, is not a metal in any common usage of that term that I've ever come across.
The plastic that conducts electricity at room temperature isn't a metal either even though the metal in it is what provides the conductivity. Your point?

I should mention given the development of polycarbonates changes the whole dynamics of cybernetics. You get things closer to the Westworld TV series then what we think of cybernetic and there was evidence that most of the events take place in 2052.

Last edited by maximara; 08-26-2019 at 09:59 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote