View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
TippetsTX

Default Re: Communicating on Cidri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Print - I presume that most of Cidri exists in a pre-printing-press phase, so things like printed broadsides and newsheets would not be common. But written handbills and posters are certainly feasible methods of public communication, at least in areas where literacy is common enough.

Magic - There may be spells that one could use to send a message over a distance. An expensive and dangerous method would be to employ a demon to do so. Possibly one could also use an image/illusion to carry a verbal message. In dire circumstances one might also use astral projection. Simpler magic means no doubt exist, and possibly organisations like the Wizards Guild use palantirs or such to stay in touch over distances. In fact, I just now had the idea for a new magic item, which I'll post separately in this thread.
I was wondering about the availability of printing technology myself recently. Specifically in the context of all the conversations around religion and the function of priests in the society. Do the masses have access to religious texts or are they reliant on clergy for that content?

As far as long-distance magical communication, however, I'm thinking that there could be something left behind by the Mnoren... some kind of 'network' that mages can tap into (or maybe restricted to the upper levels of the Wizard Guilds scattered across Cidri).