View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
larsdangly

Default Re: I New - help me understand wizards

Setting aside the roleplaying elements, I suspect that you have not found your way to strategies that take advantage of Wizards' strengths in combat.

Magic in TFT is exceptional - perhaps unique - because it is built on a core of rules and specific spells engineered for tactical combat in small groups. Magic is used in combat in other fantasy roleplaying games, but typically exists as a sort of 'trump card' that can be dropped to achieve some fight-winning or scene-stealing act, and typically follows rules that mostly amount to theater of the mind.

Most magic in TFT produces rigidly rules-bound effects that lead to balanced outcomes in simple, direct conflicts, despite a great deal of diversity in possible tactical approaches. I would say this is the main strength of TFT's game design: you really can't say with any confidence what sort of character is 'best' in a one-on-one or small group fight. If you expect a magician to be able to drop the bomb on a fighter (or other non magic user) then you will be disappointed. On the other hand, a well designed and well played wizard is clearly competitive with a fighter in a toe-to-toe fight. So, if that is not your experience then you are probably using the rules in some non optimum way.

Maybe I could give more specific advice if you described a real fight you played out (not some white-room thought exercise - a real gladiatorial fight you played).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote