View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #4296
Astromancer

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I would like to see this worldline expanded, it seems interesting.
Doing my best (early 3rd century AD I'm a little weak on Asia and Africa). Given that Rome-14 is advanced in shipbuilding, navigation, and sails, but still mainly Roman in technology(although intellectual cross fertilization is causing medicine to advance rapidly and certain asian technologies like the box bellows and the spinnig wheel are being embraced) this world's progress has been slower than ours. Most of the larger Caribbean islands are settled by Roman colonia The introduction of cattle, horses, and hogs, to the new world has totally disrupted every native society. However, with the slower expansion of a weaker foe, it has yet to be seen if they'll have the same fate as on our world.

Maize, potatoes, chilli peppers, and pumpkins, have all shown up in the Mediterranean. Already Meroe (ancient kingdom near Ethiopia) has vast fields of Maize. And turkey birds grace the tables of Rome for Saturnalia (they in fact called Saturn Chickens in Rome because of this).

Roman and Greek merchants are becoming part of the normal scene in the spice markets. They've conquered a few small islands like the Maldives and Mauritius but mainly they're on their best behavior. Roman and Greek scholars seeking the wisdom of the gymnosophists is becoming a comedy cliche both in India and the Mediterranean basin.

(More later, I need to look stuff up).

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote