View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #14
Gef

Default Re: Super Powered Equipments that Grants Super Powers

Hi Shishiwashi,

As I understand it, your campaign centers around powerful artifacts beyond the ken of mortal man, interfering with his destiny. Kingdoms will rise and fall because of them. It reminds me of Fred Saberhagen's Book of Swords (a pretty good read, if you can find it).

GURPS is a toolkit, and I'd be reaching for different tools. I wouldn't even try to stat the artefacts in game terms! Instead, I'd require players to make a "normal" character, prior to their exposure to the artifacts, and I'd probably set the point limit around 200. Furthermore, I'd recommend they reserve 5, 10, or 15 points for a secret advantage, BUT if they need just a few more points, I'd allow them instead to take -5, -10, or -15 in a secret disadvantage.

The secret (dis)advantage is Destiny, and in this case it would guide me to what artifact they will encounter and have the opportunity to wield. A 15pt positive destiny guarantees that at some point in the campaign, and perhaps for a long part of the campaign, they'll wield one of the best ones.

Also, I'd introduce 3 skills in the campaign:

Expert, specialized for the artifacts, covering info that is public about them.

Hidden Lore, a separate specialty for each artifact (or group of minor artifacts). Probably, each Lore skill is proprietary to a secret society.

Weird Science, though I might rename it, the skill needed to attune the artifacts or otherwise get them to work, and I'd allow a default to Hidden Lore but only for the artifact it covers.

Good luck,

GEF

Last edited by Gef; 04-09-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote