View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Dave Crowell

Default Re: Heavy Weapons, once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macunaima View Post
Take out the overrun capability and now you are at 3.55. If they can’t fire greater than one hex range when they are mounted, you could justify making them cost 3 points, or 1.5 infantry units.

Remembering that they can’t fire long range while transported or are doubled in overrun is less fiddly, to me, than remembering which heavy weapon unit has fired its missiles.

If you stay at 1-4 range with both those rules, you could justify a 4 point unit. Having them at range three and allowing them to double in overruns and fire while being transported justifies a cost of 4.

I mean, think about it: how many shots do you expect a platoon of these to get off? One or two. And they don’t have the effect of launching 9 attack points all at once, as three steps of HVY WPNs infantry do.

Granted, they violate Steve’s color text, but they don’t break the game.
I think they are worth a playtest. Trading attack strength for range is an interesting option. Part of the fun of Ogre for me is the interesting tradeoffs and options.

As for remembering which HWT INF have fired, I usually swap them out for regular infantry after they take their shot.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote