View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
Icelander

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#52): Extra Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If I have the points, I almost automatically give my martial artists Extra Attack: one skill. It just fits my idea of speedy/skilled but not superhuman Bruce Lee or Musketeer image too well to ignore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Personally I'd use the points to raise the skill (Karate or whichever Fencing skill the Musketeer is using) even higher and do Rapid Strikes to represent the speedy/skilled but not superhuman martial artist.
One level of Extra Attack that can be used for grappling moves really helps with pulling off what skilled characters, who are supposed to be entirely without superpowers, pull off in typical action cinema.

Trained by a Master gives access to traits that may not fit a world like the Bourne universe or the world in Shooter and even in ultra-cinematic movies like the recent Bond, John Wick or Atomic Blonde movies, characters don't actually walk on walls and ceilings, run over foilage or jump inhuman distances.

And taking high enough skill to be able to absorb -6 Rapid Strike penalties and still hit certain hit locations, reliably defeat Active Defences and/or win Quick Contests, would mean that the character could also reliably do other things that they are not shown doing.

It often models modern action heroes better to give them skill 18-22 in a range of armed and unarmed skills and Extra Attack, rather than raw skill 24-28, especially as they often demonstrate a capability to use various weapons, improvised or otherwise, as part of their lightning quick combinations, which would mean that they'd need this high skill level with a high number of skills.