View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #18
Minuteman37

Default Re: Examine my proposed FTL travel mechanics

Wookieepedia said 35 meters *shrug* lets not dwell on this.

The number of systems was given so you all could estimate the approximate size of the sphere of space this is set in. Though I am being an idiot becouse I already delt with the issue of making the setting too big with too many generic meaningless solar systems. You can't Travel to a system that lacks a warp buoy so I could literally just have 3 solar systems each on a separate edge of galaxy and none of the intervening space would matter.

Ideally I'm wanting an effect where Small fighterisk ships can buzz about from one neighboring system to another quick enough that it's not unrealistic for them to partake in the Journey, they may not be quite as small as X-wings for example and could have a sort of Truckers cabin besides the cockpit, but overall not comfortable for long travel.

Tramp freighters can make longer voyages and provide comfortable accommodations for a small crew + a few passengers and cargo, they're Journeys could take weeks without resupply.

The SM+10 ships are around the size of Corellian corvettes ( according to Wookieepedia they're 125 meters and I'm rounding down as the book says I can when trying to map fictional ships to the Spaceships system) and I envision them to preform Journeys with lengths much like sea going ships from the age of sail, a couple of months to go from England to Plymouth Rock for example, and do so in comfortable conditions for all the crew and passengers.

The massive SM+15 ships would be carries for many smaller combat craft, bulk transports for tons and tons of trade items, or colony ships. Journeys could take a couple of years but everyone would be living in the lap of luxury for the duration.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote