View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
Railstar

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Callous

I could also see a Callous character as a “feelings aren’t important” mentality.

The parent whose interpretation of wanting what’s best for their child means pushing the child to succeed, pushing them to excel, getting them to work hard… even if that’s not what the child wants, even if it means stressing the child.

Another character I had was a mercenary captain with Callous, Code of Honour: Professional & Sense of Duty: Company = “look after my men at all costs” mentality, so he would happily go pillaging the homes of civilians or brutalising peasants because it’s safer work for his troops than sending them into fights against dangerous opponents. I think he kind of cares how they feel, although he doesn’t really consider how getting them to do horrible things might count as moral injury to his men, but I think caring how they feel is part of his self-image as a “good captain.”

So there’s a professional pride there as a motivation. In this case, caring about the person’s feelings is part of his self-identity, so it’s still partly a means to an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
If it's more, "This person makes me happy. I care about their emotions only to the extent that I don't want to make them unhappy, because that means they will stop making me happy." — then I would not limit Callous.
This could also be possible without consciously thinking about it in those terms.

As I see the necromancer in my earlier post, she likes her girlfriend, and wants her girlfriend to be happy, but if her girlfriend was unhappy and needed to talk about what was bothering her then said necromancer would be sufficiently bored by discussing it to have a difficult time putting in the effort to help with her problems. Essentially she’d look for a method of cheering her up that’s fun rather than the one that helps her the most.

So she can want her to be happy, but has a hard time truly taking an interest.

And ultimately, in a tight spot, if backed into a corner, the idea that something might upset her girlfriend wouldn't stop her. As evidenced by the face-flaying incident.

It might not be true to say she doesn't care at all about her feelings, but she certainly doesn't care all that much.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote