View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #24
Skarg

Default Re: Why bother with powerstones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If 1 XP = 1 $ then Mana is five times as cost effective as a large powerstone. (Ten times as cost effective as a one point powerstone.) Best of all your Mana stat can't be stolen.
I don't quite follow your wording and/or math. My reading is it's "if the GM permits", you can spend 1 XP for 1 gold (which is $10) if you come up with a sensible reason what happens to earn you more money. If powerstones were freely available at list price, and the GM lets you do so, then you could choose between a character-based mana stat going up by plus one (but limited by IQ) for 200 XP, or "Ed MacOrc hands me a cheque for $2000" plus "hey look you're the only one who wants these two 1-point powerstones for sale - $1000 each", which requires an obliging situation or GM, and gets you something that on the surface holds twice the ST, but works differently, and is a physical-object-based, can be used by others, etc. Again, seems sort of like apples & oranges to me, and everyone wants both but may have better things to do with their XP or silver (or not have enough $ or XP, or likely not find any powerstones for sale, etc).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote