View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
ColinK

Default Re: How to Start Soloing This? Specifically Death Test

What sort of solo play do you have in mind? As you can tell from HCobb's answer, we tend to assume you want to try out close combat, so we dive right in suggesting MELEE bouts.

That's the core rules of the game, so you'll want to be familiar with them, however, maybe you want to play the wizard or other magic user? Pretty much the same answer there, read the WIZARD rulebook, pick two random wizard cards and go for it.

Since you have LEGACY EDITION, are you interested in what happens between or after Death Tests? There's a cleverly disguised metaplay system starting under the subtitle 'Jobs' on page 57 of IN THE LABYRINTH. You could further develop your random fighter or wizard from the examples above if you play through a few weeks of 'Risk' dice rolls on the TABLE OF JOBS. Be sure to read some of the sections before and after the jobs block, because Coinage, Taxes, Banks and Wills can be all sorts of fun, too!

When I first began playing the original MELEE and WIZARD, then IN THE LABYRINTH, about half of what I did was solo and the progression above is what I followed. MELEE to WIZARD to DEATH TEST, then the TABLE OF JOBS weekly risk rolls, prepared my fighters and my wizards for the solo adventures that I began collecting, and prepared me for the multiplayer dungeon raids for which my gaming group expected me to be gamemaster.

Last edited by ColinK; 02-10-2021 at 12:04 PM.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote