View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #18
Varyon

Default Re: New GURPS Hardcore Battle system (fan made)

I) As already mentioned plenty of times, this issue is solved rather handily by AP. Of course, that doesn't mean there can't be other ways to do it.

II) This was one of the issues I "fixed" with my Initiative Overhaul. Unfortunately, even that more-simplified version is rather unwieldy in play. Still, I think I got the scaling for weapons about right, and it's much less harsh than yours.

In that, the base cost for a punch is 40 IP, the base cost for a kick is 45 IP. Weapon attacks have a base cost of 60 IP, +5 for swings, and +5 per yard of Reach. Having high ST can reduce costs - -5 IP for having 1.5xMinST, -10 IP for 2xMinST, and -15 IP for 3xMinST (basically, -5 IP for every +1 in A Matter of Inches). You can also pump more or less IP into an attack for a bonus or penalty - you get a +1 to hit for every +10 IP (maximum is +2/3 cost), and you suffer a -1 for every -5 IP (minimum is 10 IP). You can also split a single attack into a Rapid Strike - divide the base cost by 10, round up, and apply this as a penalty to each attack. If this Rapid Strike involves alternating weapons (as a Dual Weapon Attack or similar), you divide by 7 instead.

For defenses, Parries are -35 IP relative to a thrust with the weapon (minimum 10 IP), Blocks are -25 IP, and Dodges are 10 IP. +1 to defense is +5 IP (maximum of double cost), -1 to defense gets you -5 IP (once you're at 10 IP, the penalty is doubled).

Getting back to your system, I'd suggest each character having some reserve that is depleted by attacking and defending. Divide the above costs by 10 to determine how they deplete the reserve. For fractions, round up, but note they can get their first reduction at a reduced price. For example, a punch depletes 4 points, a kick depletes 5, a thrust or swing with a broadsword depletes 7, and so forth. Meanwhile, an unarmed Parry costs 1, while a Parry with that broadsword costs 3, and so forth. Each +1 to cost is +1 to hit (and I'd actually just switch the maximum to +4, rather than the +2/3 cost) or +1 to defense (maximum +2), and you can get a -1 to cost for a -2 to hit (-1 to hit for the first -1 to cost for fractions) or -1 to defense. Once you've hit a cost of 1, dropping to 0 is -4 to hit or -2 to defense. Rapid Strikes have no additional cost, but impose a penalty equal to their base cost for each additional attack. Use 2/3 this value, rounding up, if alternating weapons. So, above, a character who splits one broadsword swing into two suffers a -7 on each attack, and the cost of the maneuver is 7. If he were instead wielding two broadswords, and attacking with each of them, the penalty would only be -5 (cost would still be 7). Characters with Weapon Master or Trained by a Master should halve the above penalties, and when calculating initial cost drop fractions rather than rounding up (so a character with appropriate Weapon Master only pays 6 to thrust with a broadsword, rather than 7).

For the reserve itself, let's call it the Action Reserve (AR). Each character has AR equal to Basic Speedx2. Melee attacks and defenses deplete AR as above. Ranged attacks cost 2 AR for firearms and the like (and you can typically only get a +1 for spending extra AR), while throwing weapons cost the same as using them in melee would. Readying a weapon is -2.5 to AR cost relative to thrusting with it. Moving your full Move costs 5 AR (fractional movement has fractional cost; you get one free Step and/or Retreat each round).

For recovering AR, you automatically recover 10% of your maximum (minimum 1) every round you aren't Stunned, Unconscious, or similar. Taking Evaluate or Wait maneuvers increases this to 30% (minimum 2), while taking a Do Nothing maneuver increases it to 50% (minimum 3). You can actually exceed maximum AR, up to doubling it, but while above maximum the above numbers become -10% (that is, you lose 10% each round), +10%, and +30%. Characters typically start combat at full AR, although ambushes and similar may result in them starting with a fraction of this. You cannot go below 0 AR - meaning while at 0 AR, all of your actions must take a penalty to drop to 0 cost.

Optionally, Injury and Pain can deplete AR. Use the rules from The Last Gasp, replacing AP with AR.

III) See this thread, specifically this Krommpost. I should note that shields realistically enhance Parries above and beyond the effects of merely providing Cover, so applying DB there is still realistic. It does make the Shield skill a bit less attractive, however, so reducing the DB for Parries and Dodges may be appropriate - -1 DB should work out alright.

Last edited by Varyon; 11-10-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote