Thread: Defensive Auras
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #42
Andreas

Default Re: Defensive Auras

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I wouldn't call Aura "passive", any more than I'd call an Active Defense such as a Dodge or Parry passive even though those don't require a maneuver to use either.

Innate Attack is an attack power, and Aura (only) adds the ability to automatically damage what touches you. It's not a passive defense of any kind.
Active defenses requires you to make a roll to check if they work, and the character gets to decide whether to attempt it. Aura's on the other hand just happen without the character getting any say on the matter. Passive seems a much better description for aura's than for active defenses.

Quote:
That's not what we are discussing. A force field that is up and in play is governed by existing rules on pushing or attacking through it. A force field ability that can be cast but has not yet, could not be used to interrupt a Move maneuver, unless used as a Power Block.
And an aura that is up and in play is goverend by existing rules for auras affecting weapons. An aura which could be activated, but has not yet, could not be used to interupt a rapid strike.

Quote:
Sure, but a good benchmark is "is the desired primary effect covered by other existing abilities they should take instead"
As I mentioned a few times earlier, there is no other advantage which could easily represent such a defense. You either need to change how the defense works, or use a lot of custom modifiers.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote