View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Affording racial templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I think it's a matter of perspective. "My character needs to be a Thief with DX 16 and Combat Reflexes" - if that's the case, then it doesn't matter if you're a cat-folk thief or not. It might as well be part of the non-discretionary-spending points, and to you Thief in fact only has the 7 discretionary points in the Skills list to play with. The fact that Cat-Folk effectively costs 5 points (and Elf costs 0 points) is very important.

OTOH if you need a barbarian with Discriminatory Smell and +2 HT, you really only have 14 discretionary points to work with. Dwarf, Half-Ogre, and Half-Orc cost 10 points each, and Halfling is a net -10 (although not an actual disadvantage, it's just super-cheap, and a questionable buy)
I think you’re basically saying that discretionary points that you have an intended use for are no longer discretionary. They’re still to your discretion, it’s just that you have already made a decision.

Unless I misunderstand, you’re confusing synergy with making a race use up less character points.

Unless we’re talking about a major breakpoint the profession just needs to hit, I guess.