View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 01:39 AM   #8
Paulon

Default Re: Size of Planet Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I'd assume that this is a solved problem by the time that the Infinite Worlds book is written, otherwise it wouldn't have noted White Star having a trading outpost.
I assume, since that's the specific source book I checked for the limits, that Infinity has reliable access to a magical method of exit. It doesn't mean it's as easy to leave as just using an easily replaced conveyer would be in most other places. A fixed location portal might have time access or mass limitations, or a magical vehicle might be a one of a kind item and irreplaceable, so not to be risked. My own guess is they have a vehicle of some type, rather than a portal, since they could pick a location for their base.

Quote:
Your making the assumption that the entire timeline follows the pattern we've seen for one (sub-)continent, and I'd assume that Infinity has disguised scouting equipment for use on ALL timelines, full stop.
If the only area we've seen has this issue, and it's the area Infinity has seen, then, given how paranoid they are about the Secret, they're going to assume worst case conditions, and active detection attempts everywhere, because that's what they already see in Ytarria. And while I'm sure you're right about disguised technological scouting equipment for most places, Infinity does need to be cautious about magic in this world.

Note that I'm not saying that they won't try to scout, map, and explore on a wider scale - they undoubtedly intend to as soon as possible - just that as of the time point referenced in Infinite Worlds I think they're still in the stage of studying the situation and figuring out the best ways to do it without risking being detected by the locals.
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote