View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #43
PK

Default Re: GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Somehow I feel sad for the original Thaumatology book now that RPM came out and was so cheered by the crowds.
Quote:
I'm feeling sad that the original Thaumatology didn't seem to have as much anticipation and cheering as RPM, even though it seemed to be a 'heavier' book.
Really? I recall a lot of cheers and love for Thaumatology when it came out. People were excited to see Path/Book and Threshold magic updated to Fourth Edition, the rules for improvised spells were hailed as a godsend, and so on. Perhaps it didn't get quite as much attention as RPM is getting right now, but I think that's more because of the following factors than anything inherent to the book:

1. Thaumatology was released amid a horde of other GURPS books; Ritual Path Magic is the second non-Pyramid book released after a long drought.

2. Thaumatology was mainly seen as a Fourth Edition update to many older, Third Edition systems, while Ritual Path Magic is an expansion and update to a much more recent, popular system. What I mean is that the latter is still a "hot property," which means that people had more emotional investment in seeing it come out.

Quote:
Anybody else bothered that we now have Path Ritual Magic and Ritual Path Magic; Magery, Ritual Magery, and Magery (Path) and Magery (Ritual Path); Path Adepts and Ritual Adepts?
I hear you. I chose the name "Ritual Path magic" because, to me, it best summed the system up; hopefully it's obvious why. And -- in a vacuum -- I don't think there's any argument that it would have been the best name. But in the context of all these other systems with similar names . . . yeeeah, I admit it can be a tad confusing.

Anyway, if it were a serious issue -- that is, if it were consistently causing problems due to similar names -- we might've considered renaming it for the new book. But it really hasn't been a big deal. And if there's one thing that's been clearly demonstrated over time, it's that renaming thing between versions/editions does cause a lot of confusion. So I feel confident saying that renaming Ritual Path magic, Ritual Adept, etc., would have likely caused more overall confusion at this point, not less.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote