View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #22
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: X-Files level characters

The average Army Ranger is built off a 110 point template if I remember correctly from Special Ops in 3e. A bad-ass Army Ranger would probably be closer to 240 points, similar to the average member of SEALS that is presented in SEALS in Vietnam. Anyway, FBI agents are better quality that local or state law enforcement because the FBI possesses high selection criteria and has the pick of the crop.

I agree that the average member of the FBI would be a 150 point character, but Mulder and Scully are not average (thus their 250 point starting character status). It is important to remember that they regularly survive stuff that would be challenging to the members of Special Forces or SEALS, so they are probably comparable (though less physical). If you want to run an X-Files show type game, starting with 250 points is probably best.

I would suggest the following lens to the Detective template in GURPS Horror (p. 37) to represent the average FBI Agent. FBI Agent (+70 points): DX+2 [40], HT+1 [10], Will+1 [5], Fit [5], Legal Enforcement Powers (Federal Agent) [10], Duty (FBI, 12-) [-10], Driving (Automobile) (A) DX [2]-12, Guns (Rifle) (E) DX [1]-12, Guns (Shotgun) (E) DX [1]-12, Observation (A) Per [2]-13, Research (A) IQ [2]-12, and Search (A) Per [2]-13 (FBI Agents must choose Guns (Pistols) over Shortsword). With that lens, the average FBI agent should be a minimum of a 150 point character.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote