View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
tbeard1999

Default Re: Occam's razor - just play the game as written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi everyone, Ty.
That is simpler???

If I have a Staff with staff spell, cast on a quarterstaff sized piece of wood, and I hit you I do 1 die of damage.

If I have a Quarterstaff and the needed talent, and I hit for 1d+2 damage.

If I have the spell AND the talents and I strike I can either lose the 1d+2 damage OR I can lose the 1 die damage? This is in punishment of spending extra memory / experience for getting both?

Surely the simplest ruling is that both attacks work. As two different types of damage, the armor protects against both.

It seems to me that Occam's razor cuts straightest with this logic.

You keep ignoring the TFT Codex. Wouldn't Occam's razor suggest that the simplest thing to do, is to play the game as written, and use the rule given in the FAQ in the Codex?

I changed that rule, because I thought my rule was considerably more logical, and was more interesting tactically.

As for buffing the wizard too much, remember they spent an extra two memory (or a bunch of experience points now), to get that talent. If a wizard spends the effort to become a more powerful fighter in combat, wouldn't Occam's razor suggest that he or she should be rewarded?
It depends on your conception of Wizards and whether you like Wizards who, for a mere 2 IQ points, can do more damage than a typical swordsman of similar ST.

I don’t like that.

Occam’s razor was applicable to the rule itself not whether it was a good idea. Nor do I think that the issue is particularly ambiguous. There’s nothing in the rules to suggest that a wizard’s staff and the quarterstaff should be treated the same.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote