View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
Rick_Smith

Default Occam's razor - just play the game as written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Occam’s Razor, I.e, one or the other.

I always ruled that the Wizard’s staff did its damage from magic (which is why no combat talent was required) and had to be wielded a certain way to be effective. (This means that a wizard’s staff can damage monsters that can only be harmed by magic weapons).

So a wizard using the quarterstaff talent can treat his staff as an ordinary quarterstaff doing ordinary damage OR he can use it as a normal wizard’s staff. But not both.

If you buff the staff too much, you wind up with wizards being disproportionately effective in combat. Not really my conception of a wizard.
Hi everyone, Ty.
That is simpler???

If I have a Staff with staff spell, cast on a quarterstaff sized piece of wood, and I hit you I do 1 die of damage.

If I have a Quarterstaff and the needed talent, and I hit for 1d+2 damage.

If I have the spell AND the talents and I strike I can either lose the 1d+2 damage OR I can lose the 1 die damage? This is in punishment of spending extra memory / experience for getting both?

Surely the simplest ruling is that both attacks work. As two different types of damage, the armor protects against both.

It seems to me that Occam's razor cuts straightest with this logic.

You keep ignoring the TFT Codex. Wouldn't Occam's razor suggest that the simplest thing to do, is to play the game as written, and use the rule given in the FAQ in the Codex?

I changed that rule, because I thought my rule was considerably more logical, and was more interesting tactically.

As for buffing the wizard too much, remember they spent an extra two memory (or a bunch of experience points now), to get that talent. If a wizard spends the effort to become a more powerful fighter in combat, wouldn't Occam's razor suggest that he or she should be rewarded?

My rules help the wizard against low armoured spear carriers, but has little effect against tough opponents and bosses. Which is fine, I don't mind my players knocking down the mooks faster. But when fighting a tough opponent with Leather, Large Shield, Warrior how much is that wizard doing to do? You will want to have a fighter handy. (Or the wizard can just spend 8 fatigue ST and do 8d-8 with a Fireball.)

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote