View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
DemiBenson

Default Re: Low-Tech Armor with the Strength of Ten Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Yeah, I might take into account the ergonomic restrictions of thicker armour at joints, by saying some chinks are less than half DR in order to keep them ergonomically variable. But in reality we're not talking that thick.

Another factor might be armour plates of certain types may only be manufactured up to certain thickness (but well duplex plate would possible help with this).

and some armour can't be made thicker and thicker indefinitely and maintain certain characteristics e.g I think Mail can only be made so thick or dense before losing flexibility

But the reality is a human with ST30 will has a ludicrous power to weight ratio, and realty life some bits of breast plates gut up to 8-9mm so. So I think in general the answer is pretty damn thick
Any thoughts on how much less than "half"? Think there might be a maximum DR for joints instead of half?

Also, does anyone think that adding multiple layers of grand guards might be workable? It seems like it should be ok as long as you pay the cost for it; and it solves the problem of joints having too much DR, since only the base layer would be counted for joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
TBH I know the OP stipulated only using LT, but I'd really recommend using the Pyramid articles for armour design
Thanks for pointing that out. I edited the message to include Pyramid articles as ok. I meant only LT as opposed to Basic or UT.