View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #20
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters Power-Ups 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
As I understand it, template books are supposed to be efficient builds to stop newbies walking into bad builds, experienced players don't need this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
First, this isn't a template book - it's a book on power-ups. Second, I've *never* been told that my builds must be perfectly efficient when writing material. And I've written a lot of material. It would have came up by now. I don't have answer other than the one I've given. I wanted it to work this way so I wrote it up this way. Sorry if you don't find that convincing but it's the truth.
I agree, this is a Power-Ups book not a template one, though I dont think that matters here.
When I buy a book I want ideas I would not have thought of but are still useful, either directly or as inspiration. I'm ok with efficient but what I really want is flavor and basing it off IQ or Per has more flavor than just tacking Reliable on it.In any case a player or GM could likely add that and probably think of it easier or more often than the different attribute.
I rarely agree with all of an authors builds or thoughts and the statistics or Under The Hood comments are especially useful then as it might help with perspective and/or inspiration or just make it easier to change what I dont like.
This book is very large and dense (reason I havent done a review yet) so there is going to be stuff I like and stuff I dont like but it saves me time as I know its had some vetting and the worked examples should be reasonably efficient and/or interesting.
What specific builds I or a player dont like or wont fit the setting or flavor desired we can change. But thats easier with a starting point.
I can think of a couple of builds I would have done differently, but not all of them would have been better even just for my specific situation.
But there are also builds I or my players may never have even thought of, those are the real utility - even if they get tweaked.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote