View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #32
Otaku

Default Re: How to go about making an Ultra Tech Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The only one of these things you couldn't easily do better with a non-bow design is the surprise value of using something completely ridiculous. And if inflicting shock and bemusement is the goal, dressing your stuff up like a particularly campy Batman villain is probably easier.

Certainly in some circumstances a low-powered, low-profile weapon that can be used as a payload launcher is preferable to a TL-appropriate assault rifle. The problem is that a bow is a particularly ungainly way of filling that role. A compressed-gas gun or linear spring gun could do the same job in a more ergonomic (DX/E) and probably more accurate and powerful form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There's really no reason to favor a bow over a compressed air weapon or properly designed silenced chemical weapon; in the end, you have a device that propels a heavy projectile at a low velocity, and we have better energy storage systems than bending elastic materials nowadays.
Shall I go back and edit my previous comment to say "excuses"; I thought the thread already recognized that without a lot of bending, there just is no reason to use a bow and arrow for this setting? Clearly I didn't make that clear with my comments. >_<
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote