View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Need help with some stuff with Ritual/Path magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
But why specilize? If it is the same cost to specialize and to not specilaize. And still be the same.

that path 18 is still a 15 for all intents and purposses. That 18 doesn't help in any way shape and form. Because it's capped at 12+magery.(so a 15 in the example).

If that 18 I'd what helps overcome resistances then ok. That was all that I had questions about. But according to everything everyone has said and that I've read, it's cap skill at most. Nothing else matters.

so why the 18 if it doesn't do anything.thats just 12cp wasted.
No, 18 is actually leaps and bounds better than 15. RPM is not a single roll, and its certainly not an unpenalized roll.

When you cast an RPM ritual most of your rolls are "gathering energy". You make a roll, and see how much you succeeded by. You gather that much energy and roll again, until you have enough. That mechanism alone makes an 18 quite a bit faster than a 15. But its stronger than that. every 3 rolls you get a -1 to all other rolls, and if you fail more than two or three times, you may as well not cast the spell: its quirked into weird shapes. So not only do you get more energy per roll, you keep rolling longer.

effective skills of 15 can gather about 20 energy or so before you start to get nervous. with an 18 you can get to 60 energy without about the same concern. And 60 energy is where RPM starts to explode in versatility. If you've ever played MH with the template Witch, you tend to try and avoid using your 15's for any heavy lifting, relying on your 16 and 17: its really the fat part of the curve for RPM.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote