View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Ogre Rules editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
1987 or 1988 saw a larger boxed edition of the game with a mounted orange map with die-cut counters and plastic tabs that you could fit them into so that they would stand up. This was sold as Deluxe Ogre. I cannot confirm anything about this edition as my copy was destroyed when a friend's basement flooded. *sigh* But I don't think there were any rule changes.
This is not Deluxe Ogre, it is Ogre: Deluxe Edition. Deluxe Ogre is the Miniatures set.

There weren't any real rules changes, but there were plenty of errata with the unit stats. This one is still my favorite size, the map is a little bigger than the pocket sizes so it's easier to move your pocket counters around on it. It's also the only map that has the stats printed on the board (even though some of them are wrong).

This is probably a good place to mention the various PC versions (Apple, C64, etc) that were released at the same time. There are some real gems in the booklets that came with it.

Quote:
I have read elsewhere that 1990 saw a combined edition of Ogre and G.E.V. that featured the rules to both games printed together back-to-back and upside down. This edition has been called the "Doubleday" edition (don't know why). I've never owned a copy but would love to have a jpg file of the cover. I suspect that this version of the rules constitutes the Fourth Edition. I think that all editions after this one were "combined", that is, both games were published together with the exceptions of the "Deluxe Ogre" and "Deluxe G.E.V." miniatures from the early 2000s (which may or may not have included the rules or maps, only the miniatures - can someone confirm this?)
the 1990 edition is this version. It is a combination of the Fourth Edition of the Ogre rules, and the Third Edition of the G.E.V. rules. The map is the same Orange and Green maps, but printed on a single large sheet of paper.