View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #17
whswhs

Default Re: Connecting point total to what you can buy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
However, I've never run a campaign where I said, "Go make characters." Even when I take the time to define the permitted powers and abilities, or to create a set of mandatory templates, I insist on cooperatively building the character with the player. I'm not a control freak; I just don't want the game to be less fun for that player (who may well create a PC that can't do anything, even survive, in the campaign I have planned) or the other players (who might not appreciate being upstaged at every turn by Joe Optimax, Niche Invader™). If I could change one thing in the GURPS Basic Set, it wouldn't be rules, organization, or graphics – it would be to add a prominent note that character-creation is normally done in collaboration with the rest of the gaming group, especially the GM.
I approach the matter the same way, though it seems to me that Kromm and I run very different sorts of campaigns. I have to say I took it so much for granted that that was the best approach that it simply didn't occur to me that anyone would let players go off and build their own characters without consultation or verification until I saw other people talk about doing this.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote