Thread: Current play?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #28
larsdangly

Default Re: Current play?

Agreed, the play mats are bomb and work great with the cardboard markers. I played a couple of arena fights where I accept all the pits and such as present and then added to them a couple of short bridges from the MH tile set.

Re. big rooms, I recommend people who are going 'big' with this get a 3x4' Chessex 'megamat' with 1.5" hexes (at least, as your immediate term solution). You can get one for something like $37 on Amazon. They don't quite have the same visual and tactile appeal as the tiles because they lack good quality art features (unless you are amazing with a wet-erase marker!), and your eye always sees the whole mat rather than just the rooms and tunnels you draw on, which sort of breaks the feeling that you have a birds-eye view of your honey-comb dungeon. So, I think it is better as an add-on than as your default. But, it really solves the problem when you need to cover some serious real estate with appropriately sized hexes. Also, you can merge the Chessex mat and tiles; this is what I do at cave entrances, or when a dungeon tunnel or stair case opens into a really big room. You just lay a few tiles down to mark smaller features and use a marker to indicate edges of the bigger space they modify.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote