View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 02:49 AM   #50
Rick_Smith

Default Wizards are just better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Well, because initial stat choice now commits you to what your character's going to be like, and the low-experience stage of the game depends on your initial design, and if either you die or the GM is stingy enough with his EP rewards, you won't ever get to the long end game. ...
Hi everyone, Skarg.
If you say, "I'm going to be a fighter, and only do fighter things!" then sure, you get more starting talents by starting with a hero class character.

But I know my players, and most of them will want to takes a few spells eventually. Given that they are going to be picking up spells, why not start as a wizard class?

There are not many ways to make yourself harder to hit in TFT - wouldn't it be great to have the Blur spell for tough fights? Of course. Blur is a super low IQ spell, most fighters who want some decent talents will have an IQ 9.

You want to become a healer... well IQ 12 gives you the Fireball spell. If you are in deep kimchee being able to do 6d-6 damage to some charging whatsit is a really cool option to have handy. AND what healer does not want to take that hugely powerful healing spell?

Steve Jackson has completely changed TFT experience and character development to allow it to work in the elder game, with advanced characters. Other than a bit of attribute development, most of the experience will go to buying talents and spells. Heroes buy spells at 3:1, Wizards buy talents at 2:1 or less.

Note that high level wizards are just more powerful than high level fighters. I brought this up, and Steve Jackson wrote that fighters could improve by buying magic.

Well true. I would prefer that my character is awesome because he is awesome, not because he has a load of magic items. But OK. The explicit plan is that advanced fighters, to develop, must buy magic.

But advanced wizards can buy magic items as well.

And if you are going to be buying some spells anyway, and advanced wizards are just better than advanced heroes, I can see a LOT more wizard characters being written up under these rules than in the old TFT.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote