View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
Tom H.

Default Re: Picking the nits: More DFRPG questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
An area effect can cross walls, doors, etc. As per Regular spells, . . .
Yes, the rules don't specifically prohibit this, but I wonder if this was an oversight when elaborating on the effects of area spells.

Was this actually the intent, is it usually played this way, how are the complications that I presented addressed?

I know it's "magic," but I would at least welcome a bit of rigor on the physics of it.

There are two issues to be addressed.

1. Is it too powerful that a simple area effect can penetrate a two foot thick iron wall enclosing a volatile substance as easily as something less invasive such as flowing around an obstacle on an open field.

2. What are the physics (and playability) of protecting gear, potions, and the inside of your skull when engulfed in an area effect if a two foot iron barrier is negligible.

What density of matter is considered low enough for displacement by the area of effect: air but not liquid or grey matter?

Are biological barriers magically resistant? It can't bypass my stomach or chest?

Does the effect only manifest within certain sizes of enclosure precluding flasks and scroll cases?

Things powered by GURPS are usually known for exploring these questions.

~~~

I haven't checked my 5th edition rules, but earlier versions of D&D had a rationale for their area effects.

If I recall correctly, their magical area effects initiated at a singular point and emanated outward by flowing around obstacles. This provides a degree of "physics" that allows you to reason about the issues I presented.

~~~

P.S. I am using a public computer right now. Mysteriously my AT&T internet has been completely down since Friday, Nov. 9 at about 9:30 AM (over 48 hours now).

I have heard that larger areas have been affected.

Most surprising is the lack of news and information that I have been able to glean about this across the internet and news sources.

Obviously, my consistency here will be impacted until a resolution is forthcoming.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote