View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
JMason

Default Re: Deflect on a Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
What? Defending shield does stack with Deflect? But, the quoted RAW literally said, "such bonuses don't 'stack.'"

That's how I know I'm reading something wildly wrong here, or I'm not catching something.
Defending Shield grants a bonus to Block, Deflect gives a bonus to DB. While these have the same effect when blocking, they are not the same thing and thus can stack.

Quote:
1. Joe has a small shield (DB 1) enchanted with Deflect +2 and Defending +1. Sam attacks him. Joe chooses block as his active defense. What is Joe's DB?
His DB is 3 (shield DB 1 +2 for Deflect). His Block is 3 + Shield skill / 2 + 1 (shield DB) + 1 (Defending Shield) + 2 (Deflect), and if he has Combat Reflexes +1

Quote:
2. Sam has a breastplate with Deflect +1 and a small shield (DB 1) with Defending +1. Ron attacks his torso. Sam chooses to block. What is Sam's DB?
His DB is Shield DB 1 + Deflect 1 = 2.
His Block is 3 + shield skill / 2 + 1 (shield DB) + 1 (breastplate Deflect) ( + 1 if Combat Reflexes)

Edit: fixed up and clarified.

Last edited by JMason; 12-06-2017 at 11:03 AM.
JMason is offline   Reply With Quote