View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #37
Leynok

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#36): Digital Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's kind of a logical consequence of being software, it isn't a logical consequence of having Machine, though.

The unusual background isn't insignificant either, since the ability to have multiple instances, backups, and shells make a host of powerful exotic abilities into mundane one for you, and allows you to buy them after character creation.
Except GURPS tends to work by a "Buy the Effect, not the Flavor" rule. By taking that logical leap, you're giving the Advantage an effect it didn't list based on the flavor (which doesn't matter if you're like me, and don't think that the effect given is substantial enough to be worth any points - but you've made it clear that you think it's worth something.)

The Unusual Background aspect however will vary in significance depending on the setting. I simply prefer it when an Advantage is priced solely on it's utility without UB costs rolled in, and leave it to the GM to decide if any trait is deserving of a UB and how much it should cost.

That being said, I don't see much value in Digital Mind on it's own and the effects it grants regardless of how unusual it is and what abilities it makes available to you. I would expect it to be 0 or 1 points minus the Unusual Background aspect, as I don't see much value in rebooting even if we assume it does have it.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote