View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
The_Ryujin

Default Re: Catastrophic failure of armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So if I understand things correctly, armor tends to protect very well or suffer catastrophic failure and protect very badly. If that is correct, wouldn't a good model be that DR either protects fully or (if any damage penetrates) gives DR 1 or 2 if it fails. Would that make sense?
This sort of catastrophic failure only really happens with Kevlar and cloth style armor. Basically if the bullet hits with enough energy to exceed the strength of the fibers then they can't "catch" the bullet. In that case the only energy lost by the bullet is the energy needed to break the fibers in which case a DR of 1 or 2 per 10 points of DR the armor has seems about reasonable though keep in mind I'm not an expert here on this subject heh.

IIRC, DouglasCole used to work with Kevlar before and has done experiments on the failure models for it so hopefully he'll be able to chime in on the matter.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote