View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: Please Discuss and Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
A Brief Discussion on the nature of Resonance, Dissonance and Discord

It starts with Angels. Angels do not get Kewl Powrz because they are Angels, but because they are the powers in a real way. Seraphs contain Truth, Mercurians embody Politics, Malakim are (supposedly) distilled Honor. They are created with this intrinsic in their sense of self. It does not occur to a Seraph to lie, because that is not how they are built.

How wrenching is Dissonance? It is as wrenching as any number of human taboos which MUST NOT BE DONE.

An Angel becomes a Demon when he essentially says "Screw it, I'm doing everything my way." At this point, he is broken.
Almost begging the question, What is I/me/mine to an angel? If a Seraph is intrinsically truth, then a lie is more than flipping the bird to God. It's consciously deciding to violate, eventually change, his own basic self.

I was musing about characters (as I often do) on the bus ride home last night, and thought of it this way. Character knows about seraph resonance, and needs to exploit this to get at an uncomfortable truth. He tells someone to "go ask that guy what it is. He can't lie. Okay he can lie of it's life or death, but it would be about as comfortable to him as sh--ing in public."

That big a taboo. Horrifying, humiliating, please there has got to be another way feeling.