View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #25
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Infinite Worlds] Compiling a list of canonical ways to cross quanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
If getting to Q4 was that much of a PITA for Reich-5 then how are they getting to Red Moon on Q5?
There's little indication that nexus portals, dimensional highways, and the like have to care about quanta. True, some dimensional highways aren't known to extend outside one or two quanta, but others seem to go everywhere. While information on nexus portals is scant, one of the few we definitely know about outside Engstrom connects Merlin-1 (Q3) to Taft-1 (Q6). And there's especially not the slightest indication of that the difficulty of using a natural connection between worldlines has any correlation with how many quanta separate them: for all we have in canon, you could easily have a difficult-to-open portals connecting worlds on the same worldline alongside easy-to-open ones connecting worlds on different worldines.

I think the real intent is for GMs (and supplement writers!) to basically do whatever they want. And I just stumbled across a quote from IW204 that appears to confirm this:
The default Infinite Worlds campaign sets up some fairly ironclad rules: conveyors can only travel along the same quantum without a projector (i.e., without the GM’s permission); there isn’t really reliable time travel; the quantum structure keeps trouble-some worlds away from your home base. It then sneaks around hinting at loopholes, should the GM wish to explore them: nexus portals, Gates of Thoth, and banestorms blowing Communist penguin mana and Argentine Nazis everywhere, for example.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote