View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 09:29 PM   #17
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Infinite Worlds] Compiling a list of canonical ways to cross quanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
But then both Centrum and Reich-5 were listed as interested, which would seem impossible (basically canon that the two Infinity enemies don't overlap).
The sidebar on IW54 suggests that Centrum renegades—or even the official leadership, if backed into a corner—might be able to make an alliance with Reich-5. So even before the "Red Moon" Pyramid article it was established as something that could happen, even if it hadn't already. Also, I don't think there were any examples of Centrum and Merlin-1 overlapping until Taft-1 got fleshed out in Worlds of Horror, so there's a first time for everything.

I grant that Centrum tech is limited to Q6-Q8, while Reich-5's mules can't cross quanta. But nexus portals can go damn near anywhere, and there's nothing impossible about both sides using nexus portals to go to Q5.

Quote:
Given how prevalent Reich-5's limitation to Quantum 3 is, I think it's more likely that Rache-Welt is also on Quantum 3.
I don't know if I would call the limitation "prevalent". I think in the main Infinite Worlds books Reich-5 is only unambiguously on three or four worlds: Nostradamus, Friedrich, Merlin-1, maybe Agamemnon? And implied to be on Merlin-3. All those are Quantum 3 worlds, but it's a small sample size to generalize from, especially if those are just the first few worlds they managed to reach.

Quote:
Though I think one of the reasons that Reich-5's travel has always been limited to in-quanta is because, if Reich-5 could go to Quantum 4, it could go to Quantum 2, and that's too many worlds even for Infinite Worlds...
This logic applies to the Reich-5 mules, but nothing says that if they find a nexus portal (or Chronobahn route or whatever) to Q4, they have to find one to Q2 too.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote