View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #18
Mercurae

Default Re: Making Bank with Earth to Stone

In my DF games, I've decided the value of coinage metals has been drastically deflated due to rogue alchemists and wizards transmuting them. Such metals are essentially worthless as raw material and all value comes from the labor put into crafting items (including the labor of the magic user transmuting them). As for coins, they are still used as an easily recognizable currency but are fiat money rather than commodity based. Think, cotton-based paper currency like dollar bills; without a value agreed upon by fiat, it's only worth as much as you'd pay for a square of toilet paper. Regardless of the origins of the metal, coins are still minted as normal and the usual dangers apply if counterfeiters are caught (prison, execution, limb removal).

I don't remember anything about transmutations only lasting 24 hours, but the "create" spells have a "make permanent" feature that could just as easily apply to transmutation. In which case, the value can be calculated based on energy cost and therefore time requirements for casters. Again, you'd be paying for a magic user's labor to get a mound of metal. If they can magically craft weapons and armor out of any material, it just adds crafting time to their pay (which we can assume would be similar to a more mundane skilled crafter). The equipment costs given in the various sourcebooks already take into account labor as a majority of the price, I think.

The PCs absolutely could just magically produce arms for themselves if they have all of the required spells, skills, and time. But if they're trying to make a profit off it, it's no different from having a regular day job. Just use those numbers for pay and make them pay the usual upkeep costs depending on living conditions. Make them roll to actually sell their products. If they are in a small town, there isn't much of a market so they can't make a lot of money before needing to move on. If they're in a large city, there are bound to be entire businesses with specialized casters/crafters that do it as a full-time job which the PCs could never compete with.

Overall, it's a super quick, easy fix with a reasonable explanation. Perfect! I'd let the players do it if they want, but be stingy with the profit margins.
Mercurae is offline   Reply With Quote