View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Mod idea: a bit more Tolkien-y

Hi! I'm the designer of the DFRPG and the line developer of GURPS. Here's my honest answer:

I'd recommend using fully general GURPS for the experience you seek. It would be fair to say that the DFRPG is a lot like the rules and supplements GURPS provides for fantasy, except with most of the aspects you like dialed back to 1 or 2, while the D&D-like parts are cranked up to 11. You could, with considerable work, make the DFRPG do what you want . . . but you'll keep running into missing pieces. The missing pieces – not just subtler magic systems (including ones that get away from spells and make magic inherent to races and items) and guidelines for creating nonhuman races (like your elves), but also non-adventuring crafts and professions (because to have swords, you need miners, smelters, smiths, and so on), socio-economic mechanics (for guilds, knights, monarchs, etc.), mass-combat rules (for large-scale warfare), and a thousand other things – are all in GURPS.

If you already have the DFRPG, this isn't a suggestion that you should toss it in the bin and go out and buy a ton of GURPS materials! The DFRPG is useful as a core. But you might want to consider posting in the GURPS forum and asking what supplements provide the parts you want to add on.

Just a suggestion!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote