View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
naraht

Default Re: Far Reaches ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Well, honestly, I'm not particularly fond of the idea of alternate world Icons, because the systems worldview is very much Earth centric.

By opening that door, you raise a host of theological issues which are problematic. Is there a Christ in your alternate world? Are the players able to get there? You know they might want to try. Now you need to make up an entire world with gods, heros, social customs etc.

Now for most GMs who've build fantasy worlds, this is no problem but then it's not exactly In Nom, but Modern Planescape. And it cheapens the specialness of Angels and Demons.

What I personally use is GURPS Cabal as a background for the Far Reaches. The imagery is very cool and there is enough off the wall stuff to fulfill your uniqueness but it's still very much anchored to the Earth. Heaven is set to the Measure of the Man since they are in God's Image.

YMMV and this is only my opinion.
Given that default In Nomine leaves open the question as to whether there is a Christ in the one that you are actually playing in, just use the same answer for the alternate one.

And perhaps the plot can be set up where they need to get something specific from the Alternate World and bring it back (like a piece of the Archangel Andrealphus's heart to help redeem him in the Canon World.

If you don't like inventing weird things then keep your players out the Far Reaches...
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote