View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 06:28 PM   #37
phiwum

Default Re: Quick question about UC II and above.

I never used the Advanced Melee rules, having come to TFT only with the Legacy Edition. But I have a copy at hand and you're right that it doesn't mention attempting an attack when initiating HTH.

Without some official word, I reckon we're both parsing tea leaves to some extent. Your reading is more plausible in the Advanced Melee rules and mine with the description of options in Legacy ITL (in my humble opinion). The question is, I suppose, whether the new wording on ITL 103 is a clarification or a misleading edit.

For now, I reckon I'll assume it's a clarification and one can roll to hit on the turn he initiates HTH, whether it's in the movement or action phase. Reading it your way would certainly weaken HTH as an option, for better or worse.

Both editions have the confusing wording that "Initiating HTH combat is considered an attack," which seems to be a point against my interpretation and also your reading that you can attack if you initiate during movement.

I wonder what complications you have in mind. Do you have something specific here?
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote