View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #65
whswhs

Default Re: Sol-1 [Infinite Worlds]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Which is really the point of the ATL. You needed a real life politician who could have pushed for the dream and vision of space long before space started paying off. Otherwise, I do not see it happening unless Heinlein became president or something equally unlikely.
Sure, well, I didn't object to your proposal to have Kopechne survive and Kennedy's political reputation remain untarnished as a starting point. My objection was to your developing that alternate 20th century history, with entirely different people getting into the White House (neither Kennedy, Glenn, nor Brown was ever even a nominee!), and then coming back to the 21st century and plugging in three people who all ran for the presidency in OTL (one of whom won). In the first place, it isn't going to appeal to people who have different political sympathies than yours, but in the second, if the technological, economic, and social history are that different, it seems that it ought to make a much bigger difference to who the front runners are. Seriously, by 2019, fifty years after the divergence point, the US ought to be concerned with radically different issues that would bring forward a whole nother set of candidates.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.

Last edited by whswhs; 06-17-2019 at 07:07 PM.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote