View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
Mailanka

Default Re: differing power levels within a party: The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I've never heard that before. I use it mainly for either offensive purposes, such as landing an attack (maybe trying for a crit if it's important) or a spell (I need to succeed by more!), or for defensive purposes, like on a parry or a failed resistance roll. Only rarely do I use it for critical failures. Normal failures, sure, quite often, but critical ones? Not more than regular failures, I'd say. A failed defense roll is a failed defense roll. That axe doesn't care whether your head is in the way because you only slightly failed.
Regular failures happen a lot though, in the course of an hour, unless you have really extreme skill or you're seldom rolling. So you might be picking and choosing those failures. In my experience, it's the criticals that kill you more than anything else (Luck has the advantage that it can force an opponent to reroll a critical success, whereas Daredevil doesn't have such a wording). You can generally recover from a failure, but not from a critical failure.

You'll note, of course, that Luck has some advantages, but I've noted those advantages. I think they're cancelled out by the fact that if you roll three critical failures in a row, Luck won't help you, but Daredevil will.

Quote:
I must be interpreting this very differently from you. Look at the example for Daredevil: charging gunmen with automatic weapons. That's crazy. That's not normal adventurer behavior. In all my many years of gaming, I don't think I've ever seen anyone that nuts. And those are the sorts of things that Daredevil says its bonus applies to: the exceptionally insane.
A lot of this discussion will boil down to what we think Daredevil applies to, certainly. But there's a huge swathe of territory between "Hiding behind cover" and "Screaming into automatic fire." The latter is suicidal, which is why you don't see people doing it much, and if we're going to define Daredevil as "Only applying when its suicidal," then I agree, Higher Purpose (Suicidal) could certainly cover it.

But what about just not taking cover and returning fire. Is that covered by Daredevil? Or leaving cover to charge the enemy, but doing it in a sweeping manner that avoids most of their fire? Is that covered by daredevil? The example gives us two extremes and nothing in the middle. If you interpret it to mean "taking risks," then Daredevil is a very broad advantage.

And what about context? Is charging at men with automatic weapons all that suicidal when you have a DR of 200? Does your daredevil activate then? Because Bill's character was gaining the benefit while she had a Dodge of 16 and a Basic Move of 12, which would get her up to those guys in a heartbeat and avoided all of their fire. She's following the letter of that example. Should she get the benefit?

I think it's safe to say, personally, that Daredevil covers a lot more than just suicidal actions. I think that fits the wording of daredevil: If you're taking an "unnecessary risk," you gain the +1 bonus. Going after 10 men armed with automatic weapons with nothing but a pistol and some grit, does that count as an "unnecessary risk" even if you take cover? That's open to interpretation, and I think that's good, but I think it covers more than you suggest it does.