View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #35
Mailanka

Default Re: differing power levels within a party: The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Looking at that, it's pretty clear that Daredevil is slightly overpriced in comparison. Probably because it's trying to sell you a package of two unpriced, not-existing-elsewhere advantages. The +1 to skill while taking unnecessary risks, and the rerolling critical failures while taking unnecessary risks. I would prefer to look at those as two separate advantages. The first one can't be worth less than Higher Purpose. And the second doesn't much compare to the Luck advantage. I don't know how many critical failures one can be expected to roll in a ten minute period. It gets to be worth more if your character rolls a lot, or if he's doing something where critical failures are much more important. I would prefer to see it split off into two separate advantages, since that's what it pretty much is. But unlike with Combat Reflexes, here the price is increased because it's sold as a package, probably because it's not exactly duplicable somewhere else. The biggest problem with it is the leveled version from Supers. Since it's two separate advantages, you're purchasing the critical failure rerolls part (which makes up the bulk of the cost) multiple time for no reason. Just compare it to Higher Purpose, which is only five points per level.

I just figured you had probably house ruled it. That's probably what I would do if anyone ever wanted to take it outside of DF, where I don't like messing with things too much.
"Doing crazy things" is too broad for higher purpose. It has to be more specific than that, since "doing crazy things" is what players do very often. That's on par with "Higher Purpose(Fighting)." And Daredevil is superior to Luck because the main purpose of luck is to wipe out critical failures, and Daredevil does this constantly, so long as you're taking gross risks. Luck is only superior to daredevil in that it can wipe out basic failures in addition to critical failures (and Daredevil does that a bit with the +1 to skill rolls), and that it can be applied even when you're not taking foolish risks.

Ultimately, I think you should look at Daredevil as a specialized and more constantly available form of luck.