View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #33
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: differing power levels within a party: The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I see that you're right. Strangely, though, Higher Purpose does not have that restriction; it says "dice rolls." We took Daredevil the same way, through misreading. Not that it made a lot of difference; La Gata also could get +1 from Acrobatic Dodge, and she had Acrobatics-19 or so.
You could take something like:

Higher Purpose (Act Crazy) [5]
Ridiculous Luck (Only for critical failures while acting crazy, -80%) [12]

Looking at that, it's pretty clear that Daredevil is slightly overpriced in comparison. Probably because it's trying to sell you a package of two unpriced, not-existing-elsewhere advantages. The +1 to skill while taking unnecessary risks, and the rerolling critical failures while taking unnecessary risks. I would prefer to look at those as two separate advantages. The first one can't be worth less than Higher Purpose. And the second doesn't much compare to the Luck advantage. I don't know how many critical failures one can be expected to roll in a ten minute period. It gets to be worth more if your character rolls a lot, or if he's doing something where critical failures are much more important. I would prefer to see it split off into two separate advantages, since that's what it pretty much is. But unlike with Combat Reflexes, here the price is increased because it's sold as a package, probably because it's not exactly duplicable somewhere else. The biggest problem with it is the leveled version from Supers. Since it's two separate advantages, you're purchasing the critical failure rerolls part (which makes up the bulk of the cost) multiple time for no reason. Just compare it to Higher Purpose, which is only five points per level.

I just figured you had probably house ruled it. That's probably what I would do if anyone ever wanted to take it outside of DF, where I don't like messing with things too much.

I'm actually playing a speedster right now, and I looked into all this when making that character. I went with Daredevil, but only because the consequences would be disastrous if she were to have a critical failure. She could slam into something, causing a twelve megaton explosion. And so I'm paying a premium to reroll all critical failures, rather than one every ten minutes with Ridiculous Luck. There's no other way in the system to do something that. There's no way that I can see to purchase an advantage to only reroll failures that would result in an accidental multimegaton explosion.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote