View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #23
Tomsdad

Default Re: Question: Off-Hand Striking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Remember that sparring is its own world. You generally do it with people who know you and train with you on a semi-regular basis, and unless you engage in it at Evil Sensei's Dojo of Death ("20 students enter, one student leaves!"), you spar for an extended period and with at least some safety precautions. In that context, an opponent might learn – over the course of minutes or days or months – that you have an exploitable "off" side . . . which means you'll work on that Off-Hand Training perk because you'll have people reminding you to do so each time you spar.

If you're training to incapacitate random aggressors on the street or make the other guy die for his country, you're not going to worry about all that. You're going to worry about using what you're good at to prevail – preferably before it's an actual fight where your opponent can hit back, never mind get to know you. Then you'll use training time to learn how to bring that already-capable right hand or head stomp or whatever to bear with greater speed and power. You might still "earn a perk point," but as Dirty Fighting, Trademark Move, or Finishing Move (for all three on one page, see GURPS Action 3, p. 15).
Well I certainly agree any fight that ends in one move preferably before your opponent realised they were in a fight, is a good fight!

I guess I'm not confident enough in my ability to rely on that outcome* ;-) !

Seriously though I take you points about sparring situations, and favoured tactics etc, etc (it's just I guess in boxing my favoured tactics is going to involve punching with both hands).

However as I said I do think individual experience is going to be key here

*and while I may not have had lots of real life experience of actual fights it's not exactly completely unknown territory for me!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-14-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote