View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
mlangsdorf

Default Re: looking for Ent/living tree racial template

These haven't been playtested, but they're my plan for ent-like monsters for my Dungeon Fantasy game. They're meant to be terrifyingly powerful boss monsters for use against high point value delvers, and you may want to reduce the DR against less epic heroes.

Arguably, they should have some notes for what their corpses are worth as loot, and you may want to make them smaller than SM+5... or not, that's pretty reasonable for a large tree.

As noted below, standard combat tactics against SM0 foes involves 1-3 grapples using Judo and converting the +12 to hit from extra limbs and size modifier to Deceptive Attack, and then various Limb Wrenches, Arm Locks, Chokes, or Neck Snaps to turn the victim into a paste.

I didn't design this for characters or as a druidic ally, and the template cost probably comes out to a few hundred points. There may be additional disadvantages, too - I generally don't worry about role-play disadvantages. There may be additional skills, too, such as Naturalist, Tracking, or Intimidate.

Treefellows are massive, sentient trees. They generally respond positively to elves and faeries, and poorly to loggers. They are not Good nor Evil, and can be as touchy as anyone else. Their great height makes it hard for them to hit small things like delvers in combat, but they also tend to grapple and crush anything smaller... which is just about anything. They know a surprising number of efficient unarmed combat techniques. Wise delvers do not offend treefellows, or if they must, do it only from range.
Code:
ST: 60        HP: 80      Speed: 6.25
DX: 12       Will: 12      Move: 9
IQ: 11        Per: 14      SM: 5
HT: 13       FP: 15       DR: 8
Dodge: 9    Parry: 11    Block: N/A
Judo (16): Parry and throw for damage for 7d-2 crushing, or parry and armlock. Can also grapple and rip limb from limb.
Tree branch punch (16): 4 arms, 7d+12 crushing. Usually thrown as a Telegraphed Attack to overcome size penalties.
Traits: Doesn’t Breathe; Doesn’t Sleep; Extra Attack 3; Extra Arms 2; High Pain Threshold; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards; Indomitable; Injury Tolerance (Homogenous, No Blood); No Fine Manipulators; Peripheral Vision; Unfazeable; Vulnerable 1.5 to fire.
Skills: Judo-16, Karate-16.
Class: Plant.
Notes: None.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote