View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #45
malloyd

Default Re: Different critical spell failure tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The same argument would indicate that 1-in-216 airliners suffer catastrophic failures, 1-in-216 nuclear reactors meltdown each month, 1-in-216 space shuttle launches ended in tragedy, 1-in-72 punches in MMA or Boxing strikes result in the catastrophic effects of a roll on the Critical Hit or Miss charts. Critical failure rules are clearly for dramatic results of adventuring uses of skills, not routine Monthly job rolls (and if you note the Job table gives much more manageable results for Criticals).
That said the Spell critical failure tables are not that bad. Basically the only result anybody ever complains about is that summons a demon one - change that one table entry and this entire debate pretty much evaporates. I personally recommend doing that, but it's really quite unlikely already - 3 in 6^6 outcomes right? that 2500 spell a year wizard averages one demon every 6.2 years even if you roll every spell. I'm sure some people have a war story or two, but I don't know that I've ever seen a demon turn up in play this way naturally - i.e. when there wasn't a house rule or probability modification curse of some sort affecting the odds.