View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #24
Joe

Default Re: Making Magic Mysterious and Eldritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Example: Say your magic system is based on a free-form keyword base like RPM, with costs coming from Threshold and Fatigue.
Then, the effect of the spell is based on a Reaction Roll table, much similar to Divine Favor.
However, you only tell your players that spells use Fatigue and might require research or knowledge checks to make their spells better.
Then the GM rolls the 3d Reaction Roll (in secret) every time a spell is cast and doesn’t tell the PCs what that does. Already the Pc’s are curious at all the unknowns. Ah! Mystery!
**But make sure the players (not the PCs) know that there are things the GM is looking for behind the scenes when they cast spells and are on board with this system first!**
This is also a damned good idea. I would love to play a wizard in a campaign like this. Doing magical research would be great fun, since it would not just be a matter of the character learning things, but of me, as a player, gradually piecing the puzzle together. Awesome!

All this assumes that I trust the GM really does have a workable magic system behind the GM screen. But this one seems workable.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote