View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #24
malloyd

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Pacifism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's a pattern I see in a number of players. We want to play heroic types (and we don't want our buddies playing thoughtless murderers), and that involves some sort of restraint when it comes to noncombatants. On the other hand, everytime I read the disadvantages I think "I'll pass on this", even though the character is highly unlikely to ever break those restrictions.
GURPS disadvantages tend to be exaggerated pathological forms of everything, which makes them a poor fit for characters who are relatively sane balanced people.

I'm fairly generous with "lesser" versions as a result. I allow (and encourage) Code of Honor (decent member/citizen of [something]) [-5], and Quirk (half serious Vow of [something]) [-1] where you aren't going to be utterly incapable of doing something awful if there is a good reason, don't suffer a mental breakdown if you have to or be required to buy it off and instantly and radically change your behavior, but you do get docked a character point for bad roleplaying if you break it without first trying any other reasonable approaches. That's enough of a metagame price it forces players to think a little before they jump straight to murder, and enough that it'll balance any points they got from the small values given out quickly enough if they don't.