View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Pacifism

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Oddly enough, I think one might make a case that playing enough realistic video games might remove part of Reluctant Killer – for the specific purpose of reluctance to take a shot at something that looks like a person.
Not really. For the same reason that the Army has found that training using silhouette targets doesn't actually prepare one for being able to fire on other humans.

Or target training for hunters. If you've ever trained to hunt, you know what I'm talking about. Many simply assume that the 'squeamishness' is something that only children 'have to get over', but if you've never acted to kill another creature, there's a decent chance you'll have to steel your nerves to make those first several kills. And you might also face the same depression (if you weren't starving, being terribly hungry helps get passed that PDQ). The more you identify an animal with 'human behavior' the harder the killing and getting over it is. The farther from 'human' the easier it is.

The only thing that gets you over it is doing it. And the only thing that helps with that is training (muscle memory reflex) and need. And probably some counseling afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
The pacifism spectrum is crippling and awesome, which makes them great disads.

Taking these really rubs a player's face in how often they solve RPG problems with murder, and forces them to be more heroic.

I have often regretted having pacifism in the heat of the moment, but I have never regretted having it after the game.
I've never taken the disads... but I very often play pacifists. And I agree, dealing with a problem without 'resorting' to violence in game is often very satisfying.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote